A Proud History
The history of Golden North has been linked from the beginning with the South Australian Mid-North town of Laura, still the site of the firm’s main operations.
The formal beginnings of the current day Golden North came in 1923, there is however a link as far back as the 1880’s. For it was about 1880 that William Bowker was attracted to the new mining ventures being opened up in Broken Hill. He found dairy and garden produce in short supply and subsequently went into business supplying the people of Broken Hill with scalded cream from the family property at Laura in SA.
The cream was delivered to the Gladstone rail head by horse and dray, and since there was no refrigeration, it was covered with wet bags for the overnight journey to Broken Hill.
Control of the business was handed over in 1903 to William’s son Percival Bowker.
In 1923 the first ice tank was installed at Laura, together with two cold rooms. The one ton capacity tank was kept busy supplying ice for packing the cream before railing, and for local sales.
Soon after-in 1923- came the formation of the Laura Ice Company, primarily to serve the growing needs of both the local and Broken Hill trade. This signified the real beginning of today’s Golden North organization.
Several significant steps were taken in 1925: the extensions to the factory at Laura, the establishment of the Laura Ice and Produce Company as a private limited company, and the importation from the United States of a glass-lined cream cooking vat.